Blog Tour: Book Review - Dead Souls by Angela Marsons


The truth was dead and buried... until now.

When a collection of human bones is unearthed during a routine archaeological dig, a Black Country field suddenly becomes a complex crime scene for Detective Kim Stone.

As the bones are sorted, it becomes clear that the grave contains more than one victim. The bodies hint at unimaginable horror, bearing the markings of bullet holes and animal traps.

Forced to work alongside Detective Travis, with whom she shares a troubled past, Kim begins to uncover a dark secretive relationship between the families who own the land in which the bodies were found.

But while Kim is immersed in one of the most complicated investigations she's ever led, her team are caught up in a spate of sickening hate crimes. Kim is close to revealing the truth behind the murders, yet soon finds one of her own is in jeopardy - and the clock is ticking. Can she solve the case and save them from grave danger - before it's too late?


Review
Blimey. Can you believe that we are six books into the incredible Kim Stone series? Forgive me for saying this, but it isn't very often I find myself still sticking firmly with a series this far along. There is something, though, about Kim Stone and the life that she leads which I find addictive. Something about her colleagues. Her intelligence. Her love of motorbikes. Her secrets. Her past. All of these things roll into one and create a woman I completely and utterly respect, fictional or not. Angela Marsons has crafted such a vivid and astonishingly complex character, it is impossible not to feel some sort of emotional tug towards Kim after such an already lengthy and emotional journey spent with her readers. It is fair to say that when I began reading Dead Souls by Angela Marsons, it felt as though I was being reunited with an old friend of mine. I couldn't wait to see what obstacles, dark secrets and evil characters Marsons had put in Kim's way this time. I found myself thinking, 'let it begin...'

In Lost Souls by Angela Marsons, readers are beside Kim Stone as she sets out on yet another thrilling journey towards the truth. The novel begins with the finding of human bones amid an archaeological dig. Eager to get started immediately, Kim cannot help but to feel dismayed when it is revealed that, due to the placement of the area where the bones are discovered, she will be joining forces with another team, thus pushing together Kim and a face from the past that she isn't all too pleased to be seeing again. It quickly becomes clear that there are more than a couple of issues bubbling between these two Detectives, and I have to admit, it added a tantalising sizzle throughout the plot and whole lot of tension that I just couldn't get enough.

What I loved this time round, was how much deeper we're taken, on a much more personal level, into the inner workings of Kim Stone and her incredible team. To me, it felt as though an insight was being given that hadn't been given to us before. I was able to see Kim's colleagues from a whole new perspective and I was completely fascinated by the turn of events, and of how much closer to home the danger felt this time. Although still totally focused on the crimes that had been committed, the focus on the people involved was intense and sharper than ever before. I could barely catch my breath during some scenes, and felt that although I adored Angela's work anyway, I found myself falling in love with it all over again.

Angela's skills only seem to be getting better and better with each and every book that she writes, and I can feel myself falling deeper and deeper beneath her fictional spell with each one too. The Kim Stone series is one that I feel I will never tire of, and Dead Souls absolutely lit up Marsons' skills like firecrackers and set them crackling throughout the pages of this novel, leaving me absolutely in awe of this Black Country author and her extraordinary talents.

With thanks to the publisher for my review copy of this book.
You can purchase your copy here.

Be sure to keep up with the rest of the blog tour.


   



 



 

Post a Comment