Blog Tour: Book Review - I'll Eat When I'm Dead by Barbara Bourland

Rage Fashion Book is the world's most dynamic, ambitious magazine. Its editors - like Cat Ono - have the power to change minds and the market.

They're savvy, sisterly and polished to perfection. Even the one found dead in her office.

Everyone thinks Hillary starved to death - but Cat knows her friend's dieting wasn't a capital P problem. If beauty kills, it'd take more than that. Hot-headed and fiercely feminist, Cat's sure she can match the investigating skills of Detective Mark Hutton, solve the case, and achieve sartorial fulfilment.

But going undercover, Cat's in over her head, and soon becomes snared in a very stylish web of drugs, sex, lies and moisturiser that will change her look - and outlook - forever.

Cat's about to find out what it really means to be a fashion victim.



I'll Eat When I'm Dead by Barbara Bourland was a slick, sophisticated and secretive novel, with a tantalizingly The Devil Wears Prada vibe about it that hauled me into this book instantly. With a touch of sass and a sprinkle of mystery, Barbara Bourland has combined drama and death in the most alluring of ways, and created a host of characters who are so vivid, I half-expected them to stride right off the page and into my world.

The story centres around the death of Hillary Witney who is found in her office with seemingly no apparent or specific reason behind her demise. All that is left to go on is a box of ribbon left behind in the locked room where she is found. All previous and still-standing employees of RAGE, a top and highly-acclaimed fashion magazine, Hillary leaves behind her co-workers who are just as mystified by her death as I was. When Detective Mark Hutton steps on the scene, determined to figure out if there was anything else behind Hillary's death, the case begins to unravel and leads to a number of new and intriguing leads that could potentially hold the key to what really happened to Hillary Witney behind that locked door.

I love nothing more than to get my teeth stuck into a good mystery novel, and this book certainly held all of the things I'd hope to find within one. I had so many questions and theories about what could have potentially happened to Hillary, although I wasn't quite sure if any of them would turn out to be correct. Bourland has a smart and snappy writing style, which is quite descriptive at times, although not in a bad way. She lent her hand to building up RAGE's atmosphere and employees fantastically which really brought this world to life. The focus on people fighting their way to the top, gossip, drama, eating disorders and what it is to be a woman, were all meticulously written about, making this a book packed with ideas and themes as well as the mystery behind Hillary itself. There was so much to take in, and a whole lot of food for thought as I continued to turn the pages and became deeper immersed into all that was taking place.

Overall, although it felt like there was a lot to get my head around in this book, I'll Eat When I'm Dead by Barbara Bourland was a punchy and well-told tale, taking the reader straight into the deepest and darkest depths of the fashion industry, including the not-so-glitzy side of it, and what goes on behind the scenes when no one is looking. With thanks to the publisher for the review copy of this book.

Be sure to keep up with the rest of the blog tour!

1 comment :

  1. I'll Eat When I'm Dead by Barbara Bourland is one of the best book I have ever read. The writing skills of the author are beyond perfection. She has written the book in an amazing way.

    ReplyDelete